Thursday, October 23, 2008

How Qualified is Qualified

This post will actually be pretty different than if I'd have written this yesterday. You see, yesterday I was feeling pretty frustrated about my job search and job prospects. I think in total I've probably applied for around 30 jobs with few of those applications resulting in even a phone call. One particular frustration I've had is with the local university and their system for applying for jobs. For one thing, it's all automated which on one hand is nice because it's easy. On the other hand it sucks because your resume is dumped on an HR person who probably looks at it for a minute, if that. So, you apply and the status says "your application is being reviewed by HR". The next day you check and it says "not qualified". This has happened on four positions that I've applied for with the university.

Seriously! It's not like I'm trying to teach school, I'm applying for jobs with the career center or student services office, or even the business school. I have a master's degree and four years experience and I'm "NOT QUALIFIED". UUUGGGGHHHHH!!!! Give me a break people. WHAT are you looking for exactly??

But today......I get a call from a company with which I applied for a position at the beginning of October. They want me to come in to fill out an application. YEA! After not having too many phone calls about jobs, this is pretty exciting news. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much because it's just an application, but it's better than what I've seen lately. The best part....it's actually a job dealing with my major, marketing. Keep your fingers crossed for me on Monday that I cross my T's and dot all my I's!

7 comments:

Jaysey said...

Public schools are in a temporary hiring freeze due to signnificant budget cuts from the state. All open positions have to be reviewed and closed if not deemed completely necessary. Maybe that's why you're "not qualified."

Good luck w/ the other company!!!

The Morgans said...

That does stink!!!! Don't give up, I have faith in you!!! Good luck and don't forget to dot all your lower case j's.

Chap and Heather said...

Yes, the budget freeze STINKS right now in SC schools. Like it's been for a while now, lots of good ideas, just not enough money to follow through with anything!!

I think this marketing positions sounds FANTASTIC!! I tried calling you back last night. I will say some prayers for ya! They would be CRAZY not to hire you, you are awesome!

Anonymous said...

I have everything crossed for you sweetie, good luck and I love you

Dawn said...

I will keep my fingers crossed. I cant wait to see you Sunday. Kiss my nephew for me.
Dawn :)

Scott, Holly, Teagan and Jellybean said...

I'm so happy that you have finally gotten a phone call. I know that you are excited. I can tell you this about the university jobs. Coastal is in a hiring freeze because of the budget. Absolutely no one is getting hired. We are getting ready to lose about 14% of our budget. They are laying off a lot of the temporary employees. There has been rumor that the adminstration at Coastal may start telling salaried employees that they have to take a couple of days off each month without pay. It is getting bad. I'm sorry though that you couldn't get in there. It would have been great.

Amber, Scott, and Carter said...

thanks for all the cheers! i'll let you know what happens!